Sunday, September 28, 2008

A terribly sad story. Prayers Please!

There is a blog called Nie Nie Dialogues, that i have been following for some time. As a blogger myself, I loved reading what came from her heart. She had a special way with truly enjoying the little things in life. She took pride in motherhood and continually made me think "I wish I thought of that, ok, well at least I can now 'borrow' that idea!" I found comfort in her life and faith in God, and the pure love their little family of 6 had for eacheother. Yes, she is only 27 years old, but a beautiful mother of 4! Hearing this news the other day when I checked in on her blog completely devistated me:

Stephanie (Nie Nie) and her husband Christian were in a plane crash on Saturday evening. From what they can tell, the plane crashed shortly after take-off in Eastern Arizona. The flight plan was to refuel, side-skirt a storm and head home. There were three people on board, Stephanie, Christian and his flight instructor. The flight instructor's condition was most severe following the crash. He passed away that evening. Christian was admitted with burns cover 30% of his body and a broken back. Stephanie entered with burns covering 80% of her body.

The doctors are focused on their burns right now, and they are still in critical condition. All other fractures and internal organs checked out to be fine. The burns are severe and will need surgeries, grafts and most of all, loads and loads of time. It is still very touch-and-go as it pertains to their survival and recovery . . . Stephanie being more critical than Christian.
As of September 25th, Stephanie continues to fight! Doctors have not updated her status of very critical condition. Although she is starting to react more to outside stimulus, she continues to be in a medically induced coma (and probably will be for months). Last week's skin graft surgery (using her own skin, if you will recall) was successful. Doctors wanted at least 30% to take (typically, the body does not accept the whole skin graft) and we were told that 50% took. Of course this means that she will have many surgeries in the future. In fact, she will have another skin graft (her own skin again) on Friday. Thus the life of a burn patient. There is a very long road ahead for the whole family. Not just emotional and physical, but also monetary. Their medical bills are already at $2 million and their insurance has a "lifetime maximum" of $1 million. It is estimated that Stephanie's expenses alone will be around $5 million.
I am so deeply saddened since hearing about this tragedy. My heart just breaks for this family. I haven’t stopped thinking or praying for them since I heard about them on the news. They are a very strong family of faith and love- for eachother and for God. Through Him they will get through this. But I still can’t help all of the thoughts racing through my head of my fears for this family. Along with the prayers of recovery (currently Stephanie has a 60%-80% recovery rate) I wonder will their four beautiful children even recognize their mother after this is all done? Will Stephanie ever feel beautiful again? I am just so very sad. Please take some time and read some of Nie Nie Dialogues. Through these journals you will also fall in love with this family, just as I have. Stephanie’s sister, Courtney has taken over her journal (along with 3 of their 4 children- the baby went to another sister) to keep everyone up to date on the status of the family. If you would like to read her own personal blog as well, please click here.

Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers. If you would like to help in any way, all information regarding how can be found here.


My heart is with you Nielson family!

No comments: