Thursday, March 8, 2012

The $70 Shampoo.

I took Owen for his allergy test on Wednesday and wouldn't you know it, his skin is in such poor condition the doctor didn't want to do any testing on it.  So he looked him over and sent us home with a handful of prescriptions, a page full of directions and a follow up appointment to come back in one month to do the testing then.  The allergist is giving Owen a hardcore 1 month treatment to hopefully knock this all out of his system.  I'm missing that beautiful baby soft skin that we should be snuggling on right now!   Aw, my sweet angel.

So off we went to our Pharmacy for the 500th time this year- seriously at this rate we will be making our deductible by June.  Well after a little gasp and an "Oh Boy"from Larry the Pharmacist, he gave me a slight heads up that Owen's shampoo was pretty expensive.  By that comment I was guessing it was at least $25- maybe as high as $40.  Never in a million years would I expect $70.90!  And that was with insurance.  If we weren't insured this would have cost us $287.  For shampoo!!  CRAZY.  All of this stuff better work. Total pharmacy bill= $89.70.

Oh, and did I mention that we also need to give Owen a bath twice a day so we can butter him up with his steroid lotion at every bath.  Use his shampoo 3x a week and then give him an oral steroid for the next 20 days.  It is going to be a long 30 days.  But we will get through it.

It is just too bad it costs so much for a baby to feel better.  But you know what, I would go to the moon and back for him if it meant healing.

Whenever I begin to feel overwhelmed I try to remind myself that things could be so much worse.  Through it all he is so happy.  Itchy and scaly- but happy.

Day by day.

No comments: