Saturday, January 26, 2008

Jackson's 1st Sleepover Away from Mommy and Daddy!

What a fantastic day yesterday was! We had a lot of plans for our Thursday, but it was going to be a lot of fun!

While growing up I had a girlfriend named Hannah. She was a wonderful friend, we did lots together like any good girlfriends do; play at each others houses- which included sleepovers of course, went to church with each other’s families, shared secrets, all that good stuff. We were close for a number of years and then in high school I transferred to Lutheran West, Hannah stayed at Berea High and we gradually lost touch. No real falling out, just two girls doing different things at different schools. Well thanks to a silly website called MySpace, we got back in touch after many years apart. The Internet is such a wonderful tool! We discovered that we had both just gotten married quite recently and also we were both pregnant at the same time! How exciting! Another girlfriend to share the joys of motherhood with! Well, unfortunately about a month or so after getting back in touch, Hannah and her husband Tim had to move to North Carolina for his job. Back to emailing, I guess! And email we did! We tried to get together over Christmas, but with all of the hustle and bustle (and Hannah's knee surgery!) timing just didn't work out. So when Tim had to go out of town in January, Hannah and TJ (their adorable little boy) decided to come back to Ohio to visit some family, of course I jumped at the opportunity to visit! This time we were going to make it work!!!

On Thursday Jackson and I met Adrianne (no Nathan unfortunately, he was in school) over at Hannah’s moms’ house for a play date. It was such a lovely afternoon! Although it has been so many years since we had last seen each other, it was like no time had passed. We caught up on what is new in our lives, talked a lot about our kids and just enjoyed being together again. TJ and Jackson had so much fun together. They are both walking now, so it was so cute watching them get into stuff and play with all the fun toys. TJ is 14 months old, just a little bit older then Jackson (so I am sure he learned a thing or two from him!) I am so looking forward to when they are in town again- only this time we will have to plan for a day when Nathan can join us too! Lucky for us, Hannah, Tim and TJ will be moving back to Ohio- but not for a few more years. So we will have to rely on email and phone to stay in touch until then. So worth it! I have posted pictures from our playdate in the Baby Albums section. Check them out!


For my birthday, Scott got us tickets to see a truly incredible show. It was Patty Griffin, Emmy Lou Harris, Shawn Colvin and Buddy Miller performing at the Allen Theater at Playhouse Square. We thought we would take this opportunity for Jackson to have his very first sleepover away from Mommy and Daddy! We took him over to my mom and dad’s for the night while us parents went out for a night on the town.

Scott and I had so much fun! We went for dinner before hand at the Hanna Restaurant in the Hanna Building and then off to the show. We had 4th row seats- AMAZING! The 4 musicians all sat on the stage, surrounded by their guitars and each took turns singing one of their songs while the rest of the group backed them up. It was such a special performance- definitely one I will never forget. After the 2 ½ hour (!) show, Scott and I went up to the stage to see if one of the roadies would give us a set list or something. But even better- Buddy Miller came out to collect some of his things. Scott called to him “Hey Buddy! Can we have a guitar pick, it’s her birthday?!” He said sure and gave us one of the picks he used to play that night and then he even signed our program! It was so cool! What a special night!

The next day after SLEEPING IN (something we haven’t done in a very long time!) I went over to my parents to pick up the little man. He had such a fun time! He ate super good for my mom. She even got him into Whole Milk from a bottle. This is something we have been working on for a little while now. I am so proud of him! Now I feel so good about doing this again from time to time. I very much remember how special it was for me when I was growing up to spend the night at my Grandma’s. I am happy Jackson will get to enjoy this too. So huge success for all of us! Go Kanengeiser Family! :)

No comments: