Friday, February 1, 2008

Joy of eating....

So Jackson has always been a wonderful eater. He loves to try new things, and has had quite an appetite for almost anything. He loves variety, and there isn't a whole lot that he doesn't like. But as of lately he has been trying my patients at mealtime. He is wanting to become more in control of his food, which means that if it is something he can feed himself, HE has to be the one doing the feeding. If I give him a spoonful or a bite from my fingers, he spits it out so he can do it himself. I am excited for him, but at the same time this leads to a VERY LONG mealtime. Patients is key. I can't be in a hurry and try to rush him. These textures and tastes are new and fun and he wants to take his time exploring them.

I like to watch Jackson playing with his food, exploring the textures and consistencies. And sometimes he even eats those things with their fabulous textures and consistencies, but the exploration is just as important as the eating - I try not to lose sight of that.

We are now at that point where baby food is B-O-R-I-N-G. And to be honest I don't blame him. The food is quite bland and the texture is pretty much always the same. So now Jackson is for the most part, eating what we are eating. What used to be his most favorite meal of the day, his breakfast of oatmeal with a dash of cinnamon, and a jar of fruit he now spits out like it is dirt. So I have had to try out other things in its place. His new favorite breakfast is scrambled egg with cheese and peanut butter and jelly toast. Dinnertime was quite trying yesterday. He didn't want anything I was giving him. Most everything was getting the off-the-tray-and-onto-the-floor treatment. So mommy had to put away his old favorites of baby food and make the real deal. I scrambled through my fridge and pantry and quickly came up with an alternate. And he loved it. His new dinner consisted of Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, fresh Sweet Peas, and Macaroni and Cheese. All of which he had to feed himself. Needles to say, dinner was VERY messy. But he loved it. I guess this will save us money from having to buy jarred baby food! We will just use that extra money for stain remover...hahahaha.

Like they say, until they’re one, it’s just for fun. What happens after they’re one is I suppose, anyone’s guess. Since we are alomst there we shall see soon enough!

No comments: