Thursday, August 19, 2010

27 Week Doctor Appointment

Daddy and Jackson on top of the "Dinosaur Egg" in our neighborhood.  I love the way they are looking and laughing with each other- so sweet!  Goodness I love these two men!  

This morning Jackson and I headed out to my 27 week Doctor's visit.  Everything went really well.  The nurse found Owen's heartbeat right away, it was super strong, loud, and steady at 154.  Jackson loves hearing this (as do I!) Dr. O'Neill is now measuring my tummy- from right at the top of the bump to right below, near my pelvic bone.  This is called the "Fundal Height", and it is done to insure that the baby is growing as it should; am I going to have big baby, were we off on his due date, could he be breech, etc.  27 Weeks should equal 27 cm.  Last month I was measuring 2 weeks ahead and today I am measuring 1 week ahead.  Not a big difference, but something to keep an eye on.  I measured two weeks ahead with Jackson almost the entire pregnancy until the last month and then he slowed done and everything caught up with itself.  If we are still measuring ahead I might get another ultrasound just as a precautionary. But I don't mind!  Any excuse to see Littlest Man is OK with me!  Also, I passed my Sugar Test so I have no need to worry about Gestational Diabetes.  That is great news!

And guess what... in three days I will be in my Third Trimester!!  Holy moly!  Where did the time go?  I feel like I was pregnant with Jackson for an eternity- it had have been at least 3 years.  But this one, it is flying right by me!  But I can definitely feel like the end is nearing.  Owen is kicking like a full blown soccer player.  I can see my belly move with each kick and now I can start to tell if it is a foot or a hand (or both at the same time!) that is giving me a shake.  I can feel if he turns over or flips around- let me tell you, this is a strange sensation!  I forgot what this felt like with Jackson.

Also, the other night I had my first experience with Braxton Hicks, which is the body's way of preparing me for labor.  They are called "fake contractions" and are totally normal beginning at this point i the pregnancy.  But they sure don't feel fake, that's for sure!  They only lasted about a half an hour, but it was a surprising, new feeling for me.  The other weird, and totally NOT fun thing I have been getting lately (and in the middle of the night of all times!) are Charlie Horses!  Last night I had a really bad one that woke me from a sound sleep yelling out and instant tears.  I brought them up to Dr. O'Neill, and she said these are also normal in pregnancy.  Just means I need to eat more bananas!  It is my bodies way of telling me I am low in potassium.  Well, at least I learned something that can help, because I know that neither me nor Scott are enjoying being awoken to tears and pain!

But honestly aside from these little aches and pains here and there I have been feeling GREAT!  I loved being pregnant with Jackson and now that the nausea is gone, I am loving being pregnant this time too.  I have noticed that the "nesting" in me is starting to surface.  Yesterday afternoon I completely rearranged my kitchen countertops to make for more work surface and get rid of excess clutter.  As I was doing it I knew it was the "nesting" starting to show its face.  But oh well- they look fantastic!  Haha.  This weekend Scott is taking a few days off of work so we can get all of our bedrooms moved, painted and redecorated.  It is going to be a lot of work, but they are going to look great-  I am so excited!  I am hoping this weekend will help with my nesting cravings!  Well off to a busy, fun-filled weekend and expect pictures to follow soon.

No comments: