Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The pains of being a theething tot!

Jackson is growing up fast and with it comes more teeth. He has two more teeth coming in (the ones on either side of his 2 front teeth). They are giving him so much trouble- our poor little man! He has a boogery nose, a cough from the drainage and icky mouth pain. All of this leads to wakeful nights and crabby days. He just has so much trouble teething. Sophie's teeth pretty much just pop in and you hardly know that they were coming until they are already there. Not our little guy. They give him such a hard time! I wish I could take his discomfort away! Thankfully Infants Motrin works wonderfully. Best part is that it lasts 8 hours, unlike Tylenol, which is only 4-6. It doesn't relieve all of his pain, but it definitely helps. I think the worst part (for me) is the runny nose. I constantly have to wipe it and he hates it! I am sure it is making his little nose tender so all I can do is rub a little Vaseline there at night to help soothe it. I just hope these teeth come through already so he can get some relief!

The uncomfortableness has also made him much more clingy with me. He wants to be held all the time and doesn't like it when I leave the room. On one hand it makes for a difficult day if I need to get things done around the house. But on the other hand I get a snuggle buddy again. He was so busy with this new independence of walking he had no interest of sitting on your lap for more then a couple of seconds. Now we will sit together and read stories, watch shows or just sing songs. I definitely like this part of teething! Also one of the best things is he is starting to call me "Mom" again. That was his first word and I used to hear it all the time. Then he learned "Dada" and everything else went out the window. EVERYTHING became "Dada". I no longer heard Mom, or Mama anymore. I have to admit it made me a little sad- even though I knew it was just a phase. Well this week, he has finally started calling me "Mom" again. Yay!

The other good news is that Jackson is being a bit more agreeable when it comes to eating. He is enjoying his baby food again and also his oatmeal. Not as much as before, and I need to distract him with finger foods so he feels in control. But it is defiantly easier on all of us! Phew! I don't think I am ready for him to grow up so fast yet!

No comments: