Friday, May 25, 2007

3 days and counting....

So I am down to three more days left at work here in Cuyahoga Falls- and I have to say I am soooooo ready to be done. As much as I like it here, and love the people I work for I am so exhausted by the end of the day! I almost feel like I did after Jackson was born! Not only do I work an 8 hour day, but I drive for 3- so that makes an 11-12 hour day for everyone. Way too long for little Jackson to be away from his mommy and daddy 5 days a week (and way too long for mommy and daddy to be away from him too!) I go into the Macaroni Grill on Thursday the 31st for my orientation and then I am guessing I will be starting work officially the following week. It will be such a nice change.


I was reading the news paper yesterday and found out some pretty cool news. The very first eaglet was born in the Cuyahoga National Park in the past 70 years! The last time one was born here FDR was on office! Here the article all about it:

Eaglet arrival 70 years in the making
Categories: Breaking News

Brecksville - The last time bald eagles hatched in Cuyahoga County, FDR ruled from the White House, the Great Depression worsened and another World War crept closer.

Now, 70 years later, a newly hatched national symbol huddles in a 1,000-pound nest in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

"It's a real exciting time for the park," said interpretive ranger Paul Motts, standing on the Towpath Trail, across the Cuyahoga River from the birds' home. "It just shows our great efforts in trying to preserve areas like this."

The park service is also trying to preserve the eaglet, born April 3 in the V of a big, sparse tree.

Officials have shut off pedestrian access to the railroad tracks on the west side of the river and posted signs on the Towpath urging people not to dally. Trains chugging by on the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, though, don't bother the birds, said park spokeswoman Mary Pat Doorley.

In the mid 1970s, when the valley was made a national park, only four pairs of bald eagles lived in Ohio, Motts said.

Now, the state has 164 nests - 116 of which hatched at least one chick this year, said Carla Maxwell, volunteer eagle coordinator for the Ohio Division of Wildlife. That's the most nests since the division began keeping count in the '70s.

"It's a big deal," Motts said. "The eagles were on decline, almost wiped out."

Their return to the river, like the blue herons' move there in the 1980s, signals the Cuyahoga's clean water and abundant fish, he said.

Bruce Abbott, an amateur bird watcher, comes to the river often to look at the eagles. "It's like a once-in-a-lifetime thing," he said.

Park officials hope not. They believe the eagles may return to the spot after a successful nesting, creating an eagle colony like that of the herons.

The eagles, then, would be a fixture in Cuyahoga County, not an I-remember-when footnote in history.

**article can be found {here

I think I will have to go and take a walk over there and see if I can get a few pictures. A photograph was posted at cleveland.com and the baby is so cute! Maybe this will be a good field trip for Jackson and I once I am working part time- strap him in the bjorn and go for a little hike. He would love it- he absolutly loves being outside. Mommy would care more about the eagles, but he would enjoy watching the trees and feeling the breeze in his hair.

Goodness, I can't wait until I am part time! All of the fun things I will get to do with him then. I won't be just limited to Saturdays and Sundays. I am so excited!

No comments: