Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sciatica?! Seriously?!

Monday I was awoken to complete nausea and a "growing pain" type cramping in my right leg.  I took some Mylanta and 2 tylenol and went back to bed.  Two hours later I woke up, no more nausea but instead I had a terrible ache in my back that radiated under my belly, down my leg all the way to my foot.  All concentrated on the right side of my body only.  It was so strange and incredibly uncomfortable. I laid still and felt for Owen, and thankfully he began kicking and moving around right away.  I had the reassurance that everything was OK with him and it was a huge relief.  OK, so that means that whatever was going on was just me, and not anything to worry about with Owen.  I was at the beach the day before and knew that I overdid it a bit in the hot sun, so my first thought was that I had to be dehydrated.  I started drinking water like it was my job, but two hours later I wasn't feeling any better.  Worse actually.  The pain was getting so intense I couldn't find a comfortable position; it hurt to sit, to stand to lay down.  I was a mess.  I called my doctor but alas they were closed for lunch.  Of course.  Mom to the rescue.  What would we do without Mom's, seriously?!

I called mine up and she immediately came over and picked me and Jackson up.  She told me she was putting me in "Time Out", I wasn't allowed to do anything.  Bed-rest for this little Momma.  I finally got ahold of my doctor's office and spoke with my nurse. She said it sounded like I had Sciatica. To take it easy, lay down and get some rest.  She would talk to Dr. O'Neill and get back with me.  And rest I did.  My mom gave me a heating pad, Jackson and I both went down for a nap and didn't wake up until a few hours later.

My nurse finally called me back after talking to Dr. O'Neill and sure enough she said I have Sciatic Nerve Pain.  The way that Owen is laying, plus the weight of my uterus is putting pressure onto my sciatic nerve and causing me all this pain.  On the positive side Owen is totally fine.  I don't need to worry about him.  But on the downside, I have to grin and bare it.  There is nothing really I can do to make it all go away.  I can just do things to help ease the pain and make myself more comfortable.  The nurse told me I was to take my tylenol, lay on my side opposite of the one that was in pain and refrain from any prolonged standing or lifting. Blah.

I went to bed pretty early last night and woke up feeling pretty good today.  But by afternoon I was aching yet again.  Man this sucks.  I love being pregnant and I just hope that this doesn't linger and ruin the rest of this pregnancy for me.  All I can do is pray that Owen finds a new favorite position and gets off of my nerve!

This kid is getting on my nerves already and he isn't even born yet.  That was just me trying to be funny, by the way... I know, I know.  I am completely horrible at jokes....


So anyways, prayers our way will be greatly appreciated!  I really don't want this to linger.....

No comments: