Friday, June 11, 2010

One Proud Mommy!

Disclaimer: There is a lot of Potty Talk in the following post so be fair warned.  Do not read if you are the least bit upset by the use of the words pee-pee and poo-poo....


This is a knight in shining armor any girl would love!

I have been dreading potty training.  Dreading it with all that is in me.  I thought it was an impossible feat- something that I could never actually get Jackson to do.  As ridicules as it sounds, I was so afraid Jackson would be in diapers forever.  But I listened to all other mom's that have already done it, and the one big piece of advice I decided to run with was this "Don't Rush Them".  Turns out they were right!  The first time we started thinking about potty training was March of last year.  He went in the potty for the first time March 6th, 2009 and then promptly wanted nothing do with it.  Every now and then we would talk about it.  He liked reading books about it, and see his friends do it.  But him doing it- no way.  So I relaxed, didn't push it.  Left the potty in the bathroom for him to see every day and just waited.  It is now June 2010- 16 months later and he is finally ready!  It's amazing how patience and truly watching the cues of readiness pays off.


Yesterday Jackson spent the day with and had a sleep over party at Auntie Bon Bon's house so that Scott and I could go on a fun date night.  I knew he would have an awesome time- but a part of me was so worried that being away from home only 3 days into potty training would give us a huge setback.  But Bonnie assured me that things were going to be fine (and of course I trusted her!  She successfully potty trained Anna.  She is a veteran. lol)  The brave woman she is took the two 3 year olds (both in clad in underpants) plus Anna as her little helper, to the zoo.  Bless her soul she said she saw more bathrooms then animals, Jackson and Sophie had to check out every single one!  But with only one mutual accident at lunchtime they did great.

Jackson, the "Super Spy"

The rest of the time at the Stenger house, Jackson was sure to go in the potty each time.  Only one accident while playing outside (too busy to take a break I am sure!) otherwise he was super careful to use the potty.  I am even more proud to admit he did a poo-poo this morning (on his own even, not even needing to tell Bonnie about it first) and then another one when I came to pick him up in the afternoon.  He was very proud to show me that he did "a really, reallllly long one!"  I am sure he will loooooove this story when he is older... haha.  The first two days he refused to go poopie in the potty, we had to put a diaper on until he was finished and then put his underpants back on after.  I know this is very common, so I took it in stride.  Never did I expect him to do it on his own this quickly.  But then again Jackson has done everything on his own, in his own time.  Weaned himself off of nursing, stopped the bottle, stopped the pacifier, moved into a big boy bed.... this kid does what he needs to do when the time is right for him.  And no sooner.  And you know what, the more we realize this the easier the big stuff has become. The dreaded potty training has really turned into not that big of a deal.  I am sure we will have plenty of ups and downs along the way, but so far I am one proud Mommy.

No comments: