Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Test of Wills....

Jackson washing the wall after he colored all over it in crayon

A while back Jackson and I had a test of wills- who was going to give in first.  It was a quiet afternoon, filled with coloring, Wizard of Oz and just enjoying each other's company.  I started getting dinner ready since little man was happy and occupied.  About 10 minutes later I realize it is awfully quiet.  Too quiet.  I call to Jackson and he yells that he is upstairs (in my bedroom).  I ask what he is doing, and again I am met by quiet.  Not usually a good sign.

Of course I am elbow deep in raw chicken so I figure he is probably jumping on the bed like he usually does, and let it go for a few more minutes.  I know what you are thinking.

All of a sudden Jackson comes running down the stairs and says......
 Jackson: "Mommy, I need some paper towels."
 Mommy: "What do you need paper towels for, buddy?"
Jackson: "Nothing, it is nothing."  long pause... "Can I have a paper towel now?"
Mommy: "Jackson what do you need the paper towels for?  Did you do something upstairs that you shouldn't have?"
Jackson: "I said NOOO!   It's fine!  Nevermind!!!" 
Mommy:  "Jackson, I need to know what happened upstairs."
Jackson: "I just need a paper towel!  It is nothing!" 
At this point I tell him to wait there and I go upstairs to check things out.  Over on the side of my bed I see the chair is moved away from the wall a little bit and on the cushion of the chair, on the floor and smeared on the carpet is chap-stick.  I come back down stairs for some more conversation....
Mommy: Jackson I need you to be honest and tell me what you did upstairs.
Jackson: "I SAID I DID NOTHING!" 
Mommy: "Now I just went upstairs and know that you aren't telling me the truth.  I need you to go in the corner until you can be honest and tell me what happened."
Jackson: "Mommy, I didn't do anything!" 
Mommy: Jackson you can stand there as long or as short as you want.  The sooner you are honest the sooner you can get out of the corner.   Uh Oh!  You don't want your nose to grow like Pinocchio's nose!  I think I see it starting to grow!"
Jackson: (throwing his hands over his nose) "No!  It isn't growing!  Mommy, NO!"
Mommy: "Well are you being honest or are you telling a lie like Pinocchio did?  Tell me what you need the paper towels for and your nose will go back to normal and you can come out of the corner." 
Jackson: "I don't want to" 
Mommy: "OK, then you get to stay there in time out until you can tell me the truth." 
TWENTY minutes later!.....
Jackson: "Mommy....."
Mommy: "Yes Jackson?  Are you ready to tell me what happened and tell the truth?"
Jackson: "Yes...." 
Mommy: "Ok, then let's go upstairs and you can show me and then tell me what you did." 
Jackson: (in a whisper) "I spilled your chapstick...."
Mommy: "OK, I need you to show me.  Let's take the paper towels and you can clean it all up." 
Jackson: "OK.  I'm sorry Mommy" 
Mommy: "Thank you for being honest.  It is soooo important to tell the truth!  Nobody likes a friend that tells lies.  Now I need you to clean all of this mess up.  And no more touching Mommies chapstick."
Jackson:  "I don't want to be like Pinocchio, Mommy."  
Mommy: "I know, buddy."
Jackson: "I love you, Mommy." 
Mommy: I love you too, Buddy. 
Now, ever since this day if Little Man tries to tell a lie all we need to say is "Is your nose going to grow like Pinocchio's?"  And he changes his mind and tells the truth.  Thank you very much Walt Disney!

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Such an adorable story!!